Re: Config of my USERS FILE - ?? MTU ??

Jawaid Bazyar (bazyar@hypermall.com)
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:52:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Jeff Halper wrote:

> Here is my typical users file:
>
> user Password = "UNIX"
> User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
> Framed-Protocol = PPP,
> Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
> Framed-Routing = None,
> Framed-Filter-Id = "std.ppp",
> Framed-MTU = 1500,
> Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
>
> I was told i could increase the user's speed on the net by changing the
> MTU to 576. Any one have any feedback on this??

Only under the following conditions would decreasing the MTU result in an
improvement in performance:
1) User's phone line is noisy
2) User does not have an error correcting modem

Otherwise, you've just tripled the IP header overhead, *decreasing*
performance.

--
 Jawaid Bazyar              |   Affordable WWW & Internet Solutions
 Interlink Advertising Svcs |   for Small Business