Re: Livingston's unreliable? equipment and OS!

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:57:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Robert Boyle wrote:

> I forgot about these three routers. If anyone questions Livingston's OS
> reliability:
>
> essex1-router> ver
> Livingston Enterprises PortMaster Version 3.2.1R
> System uptime is 408 days 7 hours 16 minutes

That's not an uptime.

ron:~$ uname -a ; uptime
Linux ron 1.2.13 #1 Sun May 5 17:04:10 EDT 1996 i586
11:57pm up 452 days, 6:32, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Now, that's an uptime :)

As long as I'm off-topic...Hell must be creeping into FDT, cause a pair of
Ascend P50's arrived today. They (one of my bosses) ask me what I
recommend, I say "get OR-U's", he orders P50s. Those things don't do
Radius and don't do OSPF...do they? Livingston doesn't have a trade-in
program to exchange P50's for OR-U's, does it? I was really pissed when I
found out the P50's on the counter were actually supposed to live on _our_
network.

To rub salt in the open wound, I suspect the only reason he bought the
P50's was because the clients who will be on the remote ends of these
dedicated connections want COMPRESSION. That's the only plus to the P50
over a current OR-U I can think of. And STAC for the OR-U is supposedly
going to be in the next release...right?

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______