Re: Need Help with OSPF setup

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:59:09 -0600 (MDT)

I'll take a stab at it..

Sorry for the delay it got "stuck" in my outbox unsent=)

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Kelley Lingerfelt wrote:

> Here is our network, I would like, and think we need to do OSPF, but I am
> just too stupid to pull it off. Somebody care to suggest how they would
> program this, so I could at least have a starting point and maybe I will
> see the light. :)

Make sure you read this entire e-mail or at least entire seconds before
doing anything..

You shouldn't have to worry about it getting unstable because static
routes override OSPF routes so the OSPF information doesn't kick in until
you delete the static routes. This stands true for both the Ciscos and
ComOS boxes.

Start off by enabling OSPF on the Cisco 2501 router. ComOS OSPF setup is
after this, a few pgaes down. Some simple statements such as this will
work:

router ospf 1
redistribute connected subnets
redistribute static subnets
network [... see below ...]

For the network statement you need to put the network number, the inverse
netmask and the area that interface will be in.

For example.. if you wanted to enable it on Ethernet0 whose ip address
was 206.206.162.1 with a netmask of 255.255.255.224 (/27) you would use
this:

network 206.206.162.0 0.0.0.31 area 0

Here is a table of subnet masks and their inverse masks:

255.255.255.0 0.0.0.255
255.255.255.128 0.0.0.127
255.255.255.192 0.0.0.63
255.255.255.224 0.0.0.31
255.255.255.240 0.0.0.15
255.255.255.248 0.0.0.15
255.255.255.252 0.0.0.3
255.255.255.254 0.0.0.1
255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

In OSPF you have to start off by having a backbone area which is numbered
0. You can put everything in that area or start with others. Area 0 is 0
or 0.0.0.0 depending on how you want to display it.

The redistribute statements are optional but you probably need it so that
it redistributes the connected interface routes and the statically added
ones. The "subnets" at the end of each tells it to redistribute subnets
in addition to entire networks.

Put a network statement for each interface you want to enable OSPF on.
Then type "show ip ospf interface" to make sure it is enabled on each
interface you wanted it to be enabled on.

Next try enabling OSPF on one of the ComOS boxes.

Start off by typing set ospf enable, save all and then rebooting the box.

Then type set ospf priority [0-255]

The priority command determines which devices will take over as designated
OSPF routers if primary ones fail. 0 is the default which means it will
never take over. The higher the priority of an OSPF router the more
likely it will become the designated router (DR) then backup designated
router (BDR).

Then type add ospf area 0.0.0.0. This will add the area 0 / 0.0.0.0.

Then put in ranges, for example type set ospf area 0.0.0.0 range
aaa.bbb.ccc.0/24 advertise which will tell OSPF to handle routes in that
range and the advertise means to adverise it to other routers if your
assigned pool is in that range. You can keep running that command and it
will keep adding to the area's ranges. To delete one range type set ospf
area 0.0.0.0 range aaa.bbb.ccc.0/24 off or something similar.

Then type set ospf 0.0.0.0 external on

Finally you have to turn it on on certain interfaces, for example set w1
ospf on, set ether0 ospf on.

Then save all and reboot.