RE: PM3 act any better with ISDN than 5BRI/OR-U?

Joe Hartley (jh@brainiac.com)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:11:56 -0400 (EDT)

On 29-Jul-97 "Rich Brennan" wrote:
>We're looking at digital modem solutions, but we've had such bad luck
>with the 5BRIs and now an OR-U, with near total silence from Livingston
>tech support, I'm wary about going with Livingston's PM3.

Rich, sorry you're having such bad luck. We've *never* had an ISDN problem
on either the 5-BRI cards or the OR-U's that didn't end up being the telco's
fault. ComOS 3.3.3 has been very stable on the PM2 with the 5BRI. There's
supposedly a memory leak in 3.3.3, but it's never bothered us:

dod> ver
Livingston Enterprises PortMaster Version 3.3.3
System uptime is 124 days 3 hours 50 minutes
dod> show mem
System memory 4194304 bytes - 1063772 used, 3130532 available

We were having a problem with a line dropping to NO-SERVICE, where neither a
port reset nor an isdn reset (reset d10) would fix it, but a PM2 reboot
would. Finally, we got NYNEX to switch the pair that brought the line into
our facility, and the line's been rock-steady ever since:

Port User Host/Inet/Dest Type Dir Status Start Idle
S20 cyto1 canula.cyto.com Netwrk In ESTABLISHED 24days 0
S21 cyto1 canula.cyto.com Netwrk In ESTABLISHED 24days 0

I know this doesn't help you any, but these units have been *so* stable for
us, and you're seeing problems across multiple units, so I believe you may be
railing at the wrong source. We've had to become ISDN experts so that we
could tell our telco where we believe the problem is, and you might be in the
same boat. Good luck!

Joe Hartley - jh@brainiac.com - brainiac services, inc
PO Box 5069 : Greene, RI : 02827 - vox 401.539.9050 : fax 401.539.2070