Re: How2 have proxy server for some users?

Kevin Fink (kevin@n2h2.com)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 09:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

All this is possible and not terribly hard to implement. Since you are
using a competitor's product, our sales department would probably tar and
feather me if I provided detailed instructions...

However, Carl Rigney and I will be giving a talk at ISPCON on exactly this
- how to use ChoiceNet in conjunction with the Bess Proxy Server to
provide the option of filtered Internet access without requiring
additional equipment. The principles we will be discussing are applicable
to using something like X-Stop or a home-grown filter - the primary
difference being that part of our service is walking you through these
type of issues, helping to design and implement the service, and providing
continual support.

Kevin

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Donald Reiher wrote:

> I am just learning the ins & outs of the PM-3 & Radius. . . so please bear
> with me.
>
> My ISP (axs2000.net) wants to let me (safeaccess.net) to host a proxy
> server on his system for my accounts.
>
> I am trying to set up an X-Stop shadow filter, which blocks porn sites. It
> behaves just like a proxy server. I am trying to set up a sort of "virtual
> isp" on an existing system where my clients have to go through the proxy,
> and A's clients do not. I will be a reseller with my own isp domain name,
> separate from his.
>
> His setup (as best as I can describe it)
>
> 2 Channelized T1's going into 1 PM-3.
>
> All of the 48 lines are on a hunt group.
>
> Everything is on axs2000.net, one Radius box, 2 name servers, 1 web server.
>
> Can I set up a second ISP domain using his PM-3 and incoming lines?
>
> Can a Radius user id record specify that it is to use the proxy box?
>
> Also, if I setup 2 accounts for one user, one which uses the proxy, and one
> which does not, how would you recommend doing it? (This would be full
> access for the parent, and blocked access for their kids).
>
> I would also like a 3rd kind of account, where I have a very limited list
> of access sites for real small kids. I would like to use a choicenet
> server for this list. (For example full access for adults, choicenet
> kiddie list for the kids). Do I have to have 2 separate accounts?
>
> Can I have my own Radius box separate from his? From the documentation is
> looks like I can, but I don't know if I can do it with a separate domain name.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Donald Reiher

Kevin Fink <kevin@fink.com> N2H2, Creators of Bess
http://www.fink.com/ 1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1501
http://www.n2h2.com/ Seattle, WA 98101
(206) 971-1400 VOICE (206) 971-1460 FAX (206) 680-7666 PAGER