Re: SNMP beginner

Joe Hartley (jh@brainiac.com)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:45:36 -0400 (EDT)

On 26-Jul-97 John-David Childs wrote:
>Since you've already got scotty, find the sbrowser.cgi program in the
>distribution to WALK the MIB-II SNMP tree via the web.

Been there, done that, still confused :) There's a ton of variables to look
at, and I'm not sure what they all are. MIBs can be less than clear at times!
I see the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets, though without some way of figuring out
a delta of In and Out over time, throughput will remain an elusive thing to
track. (Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible!)

> Also, if you're running ComOS 3.5.1b17 or higher

Not there yet (I am not comfortable running beta software on these units!),
though I had gotten the Livingston MIB and got scotty to see it. I was
wondering why not all the livingston variables didn't get a response! I'm
fairly comfortable now with the program, but am still getting a handle on
what I can really monitor with this stuff.

You seem to like MRTG, which I use to monitor my modem pools
(http://www.brainiac.com/pool/) but I couldn't get a decent SNMP tool. The
perl script that came with it is a pig, and I never got the cmu-snmp stuff to
work. I ended up using pmwho piped through some greps and finally a wc to
get a count of active lines and fake the output file that MRTG expected to
build the graphs from! Runs 2-3 times as fast as the perl snmp walk.

At any rate, I am trying to come up with something in scotty/tkined similar
to the I/O figures that MRTG plots. The percentages of the total bandwidth
are also real nice. I'd rather have this in the one tool (scotty/tkined is
also monitoring the connectivity, and I'm -> <- this close to getting a
script to page me when an important machine goes down), so if I can get
something close, I'll be real happy!

>Note: make sure to read the Livingston docs on setting up SNMP. Since it
>only does SNMPv1, make sure to use an unusual readcommunity string and
>limit the hosts that can query your IRX.

Yup, figured that out. One of our competitors set up their system with the
SNMP community still "public" and hadn't restricted the hosts. Another
competitor wrote a script to view the list of logged-on users every n
minutes, and had built a fairly complete list of their customer base before
too long! When the first competitor was quoted in the local paper as having
x-thousand customers (after ~3 months in business), it became widely known
that the number was much, much lower - by almost an order of magnitude!

Joe Hartley - jh@brainiac.com - brainiac services, inc
PO Box 5069 : Greene, RI : 02827 - vox 401.539.9050 : fax 401.539.2070