Re: Fewer Modem Cards

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:57:58 -0700

At 12:05 PM 7/23/97 -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
>It finally occured to me that with a user base of both ISDN and analog
>customers, it's HIGHLY unlikely that all 46 modems (48 for some of us)
>will ever be in use. With this in mind, are there any drawbacks to having
>only, say, 40 modems worth of cards in a PM-3? It will still work, right?
>I mean, it won't turn into a pumpkin or anything will it? :-)

No problema.

>But seriously, besides the chance that >40 analog users will all call in
>at one time, with no ISDN callers at all, are there any drawbacks?

Not per se.

>For example, right now 11 out of 28 ports in use are ISDN calls in 1 of
>my POPs. The other is 5 out of 18.
>
>I've got months of RADIUS logs stored up, I wonder how tough it would be
>to parse through them and see what the max modem use was at any one
>time...

My 2 cents sez I would guess that you would have a majority of ISDN
(business) users dialing in during the traditional 9 to 5 work day, and a
majority of analog users after 5 to the wee hours of the morning. (You
RADIUS log will reveal the real facts.) If you find a different user base
accessing your netwrork, based on time of day, it might makes sense to
populate with 46/48 modems to support that user base.

--
Marty Likier
Product Marketing Mgr.