RE: Heads Up.

Al Hopper (al@logical-approach.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:18:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Gene Imes wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Fox, Thomas L. wrote:
>
> > We've had great luck with the 3Com Swith 1000, supports 500 mac
> > addresses, is around $3,500. They also make a desktop switch to
> > replace the shared-hubs (only supports 1 mac address per port)

Its 4 MAC addresses per port on the 10Base-T ports - but thats still
really one device (unless you have to use one of those silly 4-port hubs
on a port). 8k addresses on the Backbone port. Note: 10Base-T ports are
half duplex, 100Base-T port is full duplex.

> > that is priced at less than $100 per port.

At around $1500 to $1600 (if you shop around) = $67/port. BTW a second
100Base-TX plugin module is quite expensive at close to $500. So think
about another product if you need two 100Base-T interfaces.

> We're on our third one. First failed and they sent us an earlier model, it
> took a week to get what we had acutally bought. Second one failed and they
> sent one that didn't work at all to replace. They finally sent a new one
> and told us to keep it and send the other two back. Switch works well when
> it works.

Thats disconcerting! We have one and its worked flawlessly since turnon
(uptime approx 43 days). Even without the fancy management software the
telnet interface supplies very userful info on frame counts, errors etc.
Setup time is 5 minutes. Highly recommended based on my limited sampling!

Not affiliated with 3Com etc.

Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@logical-approach.com
(972)-379-2133 or (972)-849-5765. Fax 972-379-2134