Re: where is the price list? (fwd)

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 07:50:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Dealers have their own channels. You can call a reseller or sales directly
> for current pricing.
>
> >faxed? Can we have a special web page with special USA password on it like
> >"unclesam" or something? It seems like it would put a heavier burden on
> >the sales dept.
>
> 1. I opposed a 'single password' idea since it is silly. It would take,
> what, 30 seconds for it to leak? It would make us look dumb. Now, a real

I WAS being silly.

> ISP area with controlled access by user/ISP, etc, is something we could
> use. But Sales/Marketing would need to cough up a resource to manage such
> a program. Maybe in the future.

Right. That was my REAL suggestion, but as you said it would take some
design and then management.

> 2. Sales *wants* you to call - removing the price list was their request.

I figured that as well.

> >It just seems less convenient now. Maybe someone at Livingston can throw
> >together a simple little cgi that would check the domain of the websurfer
> >and if it was OUTSIDE the USA, take them to a different page, rather than
>
> Look at that, flat out rejected it. There is no reliable way to determine
> locality based on requesting domain or IP. MS and NS try - and keep
> rejecting perfectly valid US users from getting their 128-bit browsers
> for example.
>
> >Can INTL companies have .com, .net, .org?
>
> Yes. Some TLDs are worldwide. And some foreign companies have a US
> domain. I really don't know the legal loops for pulling THAT off, but I
> have seen it.

Only REAL way to prevent it then is to have 1 WORLD price. Until the WORLD
stops doing silly things like imposing heavy tarrifs on imports from
certain countries, or limiting imports, I suppose this is unrealistic. It
WILL come to this tho, very soon. The Internet has suddenly made this
world a MUCH SMALLER place. I have now sold portmasters to EVERY POPULATED
CONTINENT. THis would NEVER happen without the internet.

> -MZ
> --
> Livingston Enterprises - Chair, Department of Interstitial Affairs
> Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
> For support requests: support@livingston.com <http://www.livingston.com/>
> Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588

Jake Messinger 713-772-6690 jake@ams.com
Advanced Medical Systems, Inc. jake@uh.edu
8300 Bissonnet #400
Houston, Texas 77074 http://www.ams.com/~jake