Re: [Q]: NAS-Port-Type = 56K perhaps? (fwd)

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:38:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Adam Wills (Global 2000) wrote:

> Dunno about the rest of you, but it's not a matter of charging MORE for
> using it, but finding out who the hell is using it and how many of them
> are using it. <bite-tounge> We put in USR x2 </bite-tongue> months ago,
> and they have built in vendor-spec radius attributes to show x2 connects
> and speeds etc, and we have lots of pretty charts that basically says
> users LIKE x2, and get good speeds (46-50k average) and that we need
> more X2 ports. If livingston doesn't distinquish between 56 and
> straight analog, then how ill isp's ever know if 56k even is worth the

They do now, it's easy and available in at least 3.5.1b20 (it may not be
in b8 but came along in one of those betas before 20). Look at
Connect-Info = " ... " in the Radius logs. If the connection rate is
above 33.6k it's a 56k call. Simple as that.

> investment. I suppose you could just buy ALL pm3's, replace ALL your
> pm2's (buy on FAITH) that EVERYONE will have 56k modems and that will
> avoid you needing to see these stats to determine future buying- OR you
> could get one or 2 pm3's, look at the stats (IF livingston puts in the

This sounds like just deploying PM3's to do 56k modem junk. There are
millions of other better reasons to put in a digital dial-in system.

> 56k vs analog attribute) and see when you need more pure digital modems.

K56Flex connections ARE analog.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.