Re: Lost Carrier Disconnect

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:48:29 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, David Glynn wrote:

> I have some questions about the Disconnect field in the show sessions
> command. Is this supposed to show the status of the last disconnect?
> Here's what I'm seeing....
>
> >From debug 0x51
>
> Received LCP_TERMINATE_REQUEST on port S8 of 0 bytes containing:
> 05 03 00 04
> Sending LCP_TERMINATE_ACK to port S8 of 4 bytes containing:
> 06 03 00 04

These are the PPP stacks talking to eachother, saying that it is going to
disconnect and then getting an ACK back from the Portmaster. It isn't the
modems.

> then...
>
> sh mo
>
> Mdm Port Status Speed Compression Protocol Calls Retrain Disconnect
> --- ---- ------ ----- ----------- -------- ------ ------- ------------
> M8 READY UNKNWN NONE NONE 43 0 LOST CARRIER
>
> And yes, s8 was using m8.
>
> Is the Lost Carrier field supposed to indicate that carrier signal was
> dropped, because the terminate from above looks clean to me.

This means that the PM3 modem was not told by the client modem that
they wanted to log off. It may have talked to the PM3's PPP stack and
told IT that it was logging off but didn't hang up the modem with +++
ATH0, it just dropped the carrier.

- Steve
- Systems Manager
- Community Internet Access, Inc.