Re: Thunder Storms

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:17:03 -0700

At 08:55 AM 7/10/97 +0100, Gordon Soukoreff wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm having a problem with one of our remote location and recent
>electrical storm activity in this area. Well, at least the problem
>occurs or is more amplified when there is a thunder storm. We
>have a PM2ER-30 and into that is plugged a Motorola FT100S and into
>that is plugged the Telco's Pargain Technologes HRE422 HDSL. Our
>equipment is plugged into a SmartUPS. Now everytime a storm goes
>over head I loose my W1 connection. The Portmaster shows a
>" CONNECTING " on W1. The only remedy is to actually unplug the
>Motorola from the UPS socket powering it down and then plug
>it back in again powering it back up again. The PM2ER immediately
>establishes the connection.
>Has anyone heard of such a thing ? Or any ideas, like could it be
>a poor Telco ground ? It's been very frustrating.

Yeah, it sounds like you are getting EMF from the telco line. I hope that
someone on the list can suggest the correct choke coil to put on the telco
line.

JGT
John G. Thompson Livingston Enterprises Inc. Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON) 4464 Willow Road Fax: (510)737-2110
support@livingston.com Pleasanton, CA 94588 http://www.livingston.com/
******* The solution to any problem lies in its proper definition. *******