Re: Shell Access

Steven P. Crain (scrain@shore.net)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:02:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Dale Babiy wrote:

> At 11:54 AM 7/8/97 -0700, Luther D. Keal wrote:
> >I've got a subscriber that wants shell access. He's using a Linux
> >box with Minicom router as the dial-up media.
> >
> >He just wants shell access.
>
> Umm, 'Just' and shell access don't go into the same sentance.
>
> 2) If he has a linux box he already has a shell account. If he has a
> PPP connection from you, he's on the net. There's only really one
> (honest) reason I can think of why he'd want to do a minicom
> connection to you rather then a full blown PPP one and that's because
> he doesn't have the knowlege. I'd invest in teaching him instead,
> reasons follow.

NAK. I can think of many reasons he might want a shell connection.

1) Minicom is *much* faster than PPP because it doesn't have the framing
overhead. sz combined with minicom is significantly faster than FTP over
PPP, for example.

2) Have you ever tried to telnet to a non-linux box over PPP when you
weren't using X? Try to find one that knows what linux-console means.
OTOH, try to find one that knows vt102 (minicom). [If you have X it is
mute because everybody knows xterm.]

3) If he connects with PPP anybody can get into his box. If he connects
with minicom his box is more secure.

> I'm using PM-3 and a Linux box for authentication.
>
> How do I set up the PM-3 and/or the Radius to shut off PPP for his
> session
> so he comes straight in thru the PM-3 and into the Unix shell account.

Add an entry to RADIUS for him that looks like:

username Authentication-Type = System
User-Service = Login-User, Login-Host = your.machine.net,
Login-Service = Rlogin

Also, to prevent him from getting a double password prompt, you can add
the pm3 to your /etc/host.equiv file or (probably better for one user)
have hime put a .rhosts file in his directory for the PM3.

Steven P. Crain scrain@shore.net http://www.shore.net/~scrain
Shore.Net Unix Development and Administration
An ISP with Excellence in the Greater Boston Area.