International Pricing: Was Re: Forwarded mail...

Brian Grainger (corbin@oracle.rmin.net)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:03:27 MST

** Reply to note from Allan Jacobsen <allan@internet.dk> Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:52:00 +0200

> MegaZone wrote:
> >
> > The international folks were getting upset since pricing is different outside
> > of North America.
>
> They sure are. Here in Denmark the ISP price of a PM3 is about 20-30 %
> above the
> list price in the US.
> We are considering if we should try ascend, cisco or something else, or
> perhaps
> try if we could buy one in Germany.

Canada isn't really 'international' from the point of view
of the U.S., but we see price differentials on lots of
products as well.

The worst thing is that you can't always put it down to taxes or
import duties because when you do the math, and add in shipping,
you're left with the unmistakeable impression that prices are set
to whatever the market will bear.

I'm not saying that Livingston is worse than any other U.S.
manufacturer, but the ISP discounts off list are lower than
those available stateside, and those discounts are applied to
an exchange rate which is about 5% worse than what you can get
at a bank. Go figure.

Regards,
Brian.

Corbin Network Services, Inc.
Box 1960, Sparwood, BC, Canada
V0B 2G0

Member, Canadian Association of Internet Providers
Network operations, programming, and training.