Re: Slow speeds with a PM3 and a USR Sporster 28.8

Christer Olsson (cox@clavicula.mednet.gu.se)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:34:04 +0200 (CET)

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Matthew Mangan wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have a customer that is getting slower speeds on our PM3
> compared to the speeds he gets on our PM2's... anyone got any suggestions???

That's a known problem.

The main problem is that PM3 only uses 512 bytes V42" compression
dictionarys rather the more common used 2048 bytes. Thats gives poor
compression and significantly lower speed in interactive traffic and
well-compressible data like texts and HTML-pages.

That will be fixed in next version of the software for PM3.

The second problem is the high latency time for sending small packets
from the PM3. That gives poor performance for interactive use. Because
the PM3 is a true digital modem, the delay is too high compared by analog
modems. I've also noticed poor performance when I'm trying use
interactive stuff in a loaded link but that's equal for mosts
PPP-servers. However, I want higher priority for packets with portnumber
23 (telnet) so we can use telnet even when we're running WWW or ftp.

Haven't heard anything from Livingston about that.