RE: What do the db levels Mean

Phil Taylor (Phil@lansystems.co.uk)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:25:19 +0100

According to http://www.dcbnet.com/notes/9611t1.html (an interesting
document BTW and written by someone who appears to know a lot about his
subject)

The AT&T specified ABAM cable for T1 connections is no longer available
per se, a suitable equivalent would be Category/Level 2 cable (2 pair)
and is adequate for T1 transmissions up to 1000ft. (ABAM was actually
unshielded according to this doc)

You wouldn't run audio/power/sprinkler controls over CAT5 because it is
DATA GRADE CABLE (usually plastered all over the cable itself) the last
time I looked T1 was data. It is a fixed frequency digital signal. CAT 5
has the right nominal impedance and VERY low NEXT and Attenuation at
those frequencies.

Anyway, enough is enough I'm going for a beer.......

Cheers and have a nice weekend everybody,

Phil.