RE: What do the db levels Mean

Phil Taylor (Phil@lansystems.co.uk)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:27:22 +0100

I would expect that as long as the cable is certified CAT5 then each
SEPERATE pair should be able to handle 100M data rates (Beldon now do a
350M cable) as we are using 2 pairs and putting <2M down the wire I
wouldn't really have expected any problems.

A TDR attenuation/NEXT (near end cross talk) test on a livingston
supplied cable gives the following results (CAT5 patch cord):

The only real difference I can see is only pairs 1-2 and 4-5 are
connected but,

Passive Hub SCR = 54.6 dB
Active Hub SCR = 55.0 dB

NEXT @ 19.7Mhz = 53.2dB, @10.1Mhz = 48.5dB, @ 5.1Mhz = 53.5dB , @
2.1Mhz = 60.0dB

Attenuation @ 16Mhz = 0.3dB, @10Mhz = 0.4dB, @ 5Mhz = 0.4dB, @ 2Mhz
0.0dB

So, basically a pretty good cable. In fact is seems to have it's best
properties at the 2Mhz range which is good cause thats the speed we run
it at. This is of course assuming that TX/RX go down the correct wires
as the pairing used here is for CAT5 cables.

Also, If it's not provisioned in fibre, what cable do the telco use
?????

This strikes me as akin to the argument you will often find in HiFi
shops, 'Dont use the manufacturers supplied interconnect leads'. A very
valid argument but at the end of the day it works and unless you happen
to have a good ear for these things you probably won't notice the
difference. (BTW I can tell the difference but the point is the same
......)

Cheers

Phil
Lan Systems. hopefully we'll have a 100Mhz TDR soon :-)