Re: PM-3 and Zoom

Dave Godglick (drg@bond.net)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 11:17:48 +5

Yesterday I had a customer trying to connect with a Zoom 33.6 and unable to
connect at more than 14.4
I offered him a trial because he was frustrated with another ISP.
Oddly enough he said it was quicker at 14.4 than the other ISP at 28.8
Some kind of Livingston magic I guess.
I had them dial into the our PM2's instead and all was fine.

Obviously others have noticed the problems with Zoom but I haven't noticed any
resolution. Is there one?
Other than buying a modem that doesn't start with a "Z"

On 11 Apr 97 at 16:50, ServNet Listbox - wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Robert Boyle wrote:
>
> > At 10:10 PM 4/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Let me ask an open-ended question: anyone here have (and hopefully solved)
> > >problems with Zoom modems and PM-3s?
> >
> > Yes and no, why do you ask? :) We have one customer with a Zoom 33.6k that
> > has just recently started experiencing slow speeds, I'm not sure yet if
> > they are slow connects or just slow transfers. What has you experience been?
>
> In testing different modems, I've noticed the Zoom has an effective
> throughput about 20%-30% when connecting to the PM3 over connecting to
> Supras, USR Couriers, and Ascend Maxes. But every other modem I've tested
> connecting to the PM3 has been fine.

Dave Godglick

Bondnet Internet Services Inc.
http://www.bond.net
When you don't have "unlimited time" to wait for busy signals!