Re: HTTP Server Filtering

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:35:25 -0500

At 11:29 PM 4/23/97 -0400, Christopher Hicks wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, James Moriartey wrote:
>> >Is it possible to create a filter to allow a user to browse
>> >and deny the user to run a HTTP server ?
>>
>> sure, allow tcp port 80 out and deny it coming in.
>
>You can run the web server on virtually any port without difficulty.
>Restricting port 80 just begins a shell game. The user puts it on port
>81, you restrict port 81, he puts it on 82. Etc.

I don't care to try playing this cat and mouse game, but wouldn't"

permit tcp estab

on the .in filter only allow connections that were initiated by the dial-in
user?

Then it would just be a matter of deciding what you want them to have for
incoming.

BTW, nice domain name. ;-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990