Re: HTTP Server Filtering

Christopher Hicks (chicks@chicks.net)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:48:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> > >
> > > sure, allow tcp port 80 out and deny it coming in.
> >
> > You can run the web server on virtually any port without difficulty.
> > Restricting port 80 just begins a shell game. The user puts it on port
> > 81, you restrict port 81, he puts it on 82. Etc.
> >
> but dont you have to tell the web client to look at a different port too?

Change the URL wherever its posted. Without knowing the motivations and
history behind J Moriartey's question we don't know whether any of this
matters. But moving the web daemon to a new port is a no-brainer and its
easy to change a URL if you've got it on a web page somewhere:
http://www.somedomain.tld:83/lets-hope-its-not-a-porn-site.html
^^^

</chris>

Any chance of those paper cups and string being upgraded to tin cans
and wire? Or as a coworker has said . . . I've seen better throughput
from a pair of gorillas and flash cards. -Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>