Re: HTTP Server Filtering

Christopher Hicks (chicks@chicks.net)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:29:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, James Moriartey wrote:
> >Is it possible to create a filter to allow a user to browse
> >and deny the user to run a HTTP server ?
>
> sure, allow tcp port 80 out and deny it coming in.

You can run the web server on virtually any port without difficulty.
Restricting port 80 just begins a shell game. The user puts it on port
81, you restrict port 81, he puts it on 82. Etc.

</chris>

Any chance of those paper cups and string being upgraded to tin cans
and wire? Or as a coworker has said . . . I've seen better throughput
from a pair of gorillas and flash cards. -Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>