Re: computer not answering in 95

Curt Eckhart (curt@genesis.shadetree.com)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:55:15 -0400

>From: Craig Brown <craig@blueriver.net>
>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:30:35 -0500
>
>I've been having a problem lately with Win 95 dial-up networking connecting
>to a PM-3. What happens is that the client will dial, the modems will
>handshake normally and then 95 will pop up an error message that "the
>computer you are dialing is not answering". It's not incredibly widespread,
>and all the customers that are having this problem on the PM-3 do not have
>the same problem dialing into our old analog modem bank. Both our analogs
>and PM-3 are on CT1s. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does
>anyone have any suggestions for where to start for debugging it?

Whenever I've seen this problem, it's usually because the modems are
taking an unusually long time negotiating a connection and the 60
second default timeout expires before it completes. So someone at MS
decides that it's better to blame the other end and you get this
"blame the other guy" message.

Just have your user set the connection timeout to 180 seconds and your
problems will go away.

--
Curt Eckhart
Shade Tree Communications, Inc.