Re: Problems : PM3 connected to DMS-100

Adam Hill (adam@powernet.co.uk)
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:44:30 GMT

Phil Taylor <Phil@lansystems.co.uk> wrote:

>On the first PRI we have NEVER seen more than 23 ports connected. I know
>this is standard for T1 style US PRI but we are EuroISDN (30 Channel)
>with ALL channels turned on.

>I am now getting concerned that maybe the DMS-100 code in the PM3
>doesn't allow more than 23 ports per PRI to be used. As almost every day
>the 23rd port is being hit but never any more than that which would seem
>an amazing coincidence.

Not a coincidence, the Portmaster 3 DMS-100 code does not
allow more than 23 channels. We are currently trying to get Livingston
and Nortel to talk to each other over this, but it is proving a
tedious process. Each basically seems to blame the other at the moment
- Livingston says "but nobody uses DMS-100 in Europe, your Telco
should be able to supply net5" and Nortel say "But we use our switches
in Europe with other manufacturer's equipment with no problems."

>I did see a comment a few weeks ago on the list, where someone was
>saying he had never seen all 30 ports used on a DMS-100. If this is the
>case, whose bug is it ???

Ahh, this is a good question. It must in reality be
Livingston's bug... but whether they will bother to fix it is another
question. You could argue that the Nortel switch is not net5
compliant, and should be if it is in Europe - but whether they will
bother to fix it is another question. As a company we are caught in
the middle of this... we cannot change telcos for local reasons, we
canot go back to analogue lines... it is looking like our only option
may be to send our PM3s back, although this would be a shame.

>As we are paying the telco for those 7 channels it would be nice to use
>them :-(

I know the feeling......

Adam Hill

Power Internet Ltd.