Re: Multi-Tech CommPlete vs. PM3? (fwd)

Al Hopper (al@logical-approach.com)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:48:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Stephen Fisher shaped the electrons to say...
> >Is it practical to break it out into BRIs instead? I know Livingston has
> >looked into making a box to mux pots<->chan-t1 but how about bri<->pri?
>
> We thought about it - it would probably cost as much as a PM-3 to do it.
>
> You have to bring in BRI, handle the signalling, split out the data, convert
> the data back to ISDN and recreate the signally and send out as PRI.
>
> Basically it is like hacing a PRI comm server and a BRI comm server back to
> back.
>
> Not cheap. It would be cheaper to build a new unit that took BRI and had
> the same features as a PM-3 natively.

And you would end up with a box that would allow you to order BRI
circuits from the telco and resell them as PRIs. In GTE land that would
allow you to "buy" the lines for approx $600/month (12 * BRI) and sell
them at < $1700/month - that what GTE wants for PRI.

So what would the payback time be for your bri<->pri converter? Probably
attractive. And it would be so much fun to stick it to the telco....

Al Hopper Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX. al@logical-approach.com
(972)-379-2133 or (972)-849-5765. Fax 972-379-2134