Re: ICMP redirects...opinions..

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:53:25 -0500 (CDT)

Once upon a time, Karl Asha wrote
> Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:
> > On 21 Apr 1997, Karl Asha wrote:
> > Problem is, with OSPF, routed doesn't cut it any longer. Routed uses RIP;
> > you're using OSPF as your routing protocol. Since the UN*X boxes now only
> > have their "default route" as the "correct" place to go for your users' IP
> > addresses, you either (1) need to have the Cisco redistribute the OSPF
> > routes into RIP, (2) need to have the PM's do both RIP and OSPF, or (3) just
> > live with it. Since you won't install OSPF on all the unix boxes, they need
> > to get their routing info from somewhere, or else the router will ICMP
> > Redirect them away.
>
> Right...I'd actually use gated if I cold get it functioning under linux. Mind
> you I can get gated to RIP, just not OSPF for some inexplicable reason.

Do you have IP Multicast enabled in the kernel? I went round and round
trying to figure out what was wrong until I got that enabled. After
that, I compiled gated-R3_6Alpha_2 plus a patch for Linux from
ftp.redhat.com/pub/gated. It is working just fine on a network of a PM3
(more on the way!), a Cisco 2501, and 2 Ascend MAX 1800s (bleh!).
Ascends do OSPF rather weird - they broadcast a host route and a network
route for each connection. Maybe I just have it setup weird - hard to
tell. :-)

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services