Re: ICMP redirects...opinions..

Karl Asha (karl@blackdown.com)
21 Apr 1997 12:14:19 -0400

Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:
> On 21 Apr 1997, Karl Asha wrote:
>
> Problem is, with OSPF, routed doesn't cut it any longer. Routed uses RIP;
> you're using OSPF as your routing protocol. Since the UN*X boxes now only
> have their "default route" as the "correct" place to go for your users' IP
> addresses, you either (1) need to have the Cisco redistribute the OSPF
> routes into RIP, (2) need to have the PM's do both RIP and OSPF, or (3) just
> live with it. Since you won't install OSPF on all the unix boxes, they need
> to get their routing info from somewhere, or else the router will ICMP
> Redirect them away.

Right...I'd actually use gated if I cold get it functioning under linux. Mind
you I can get gated to RIP, just not OSPF for some inexplicable reason.

Is there any measurable level at which icmp redirects become 'too much' and
something like gated or no redirects, etc.. really -need- to be done?

Karl