Re: FW: Announcing K56flex Modems and Ascend MAX Availability

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:30:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:

> Also, If Ascend is shipping modems with K56flex in them now, will
> Livingston get them out the door in two months. I can assume the Ascend
> stuff doesn't work now even though they ship it. They should get it to
> work in a couple of months, hopefully Livingston will ship WORKING code
> by then. Note the emphasis on WORKING code I'll wait a year for the
> code if it works out of the gate, however if the competition can get
> working code out of the gate way before Livingston I'll be sending my
> PM-3's back (please don't make me do this...).

Be calm. First you have to define "which" working code. It has to be
the one that ships working code that IS an ITU standard and does also
support most if not all of the existing analog modems. After all USR
claims to have "working" X2 code now right? Better yet, I know that
Livingston will ship Lucent chips and K56Flex. What brand(s) of consumer
modems will work successfully out of the gate and will be available at
the same time as our brand new shiny Lucent PM-3 modem cards? Everyone
seems to be working at this at one end or the other. Its either one
proposal or the other, its either at the term server or the consumer end.
We have to prove that there are two compatible ends of the line here.
If I announce K56Flex for beta test, or the upcoming ITU standard for
general use, I want to have in hand, and on our web site, a list of
brands and specific models that have been verified to work with the
PM-3's at 56K.