Re: UDP traffic

AIS Technical Staff (TechSupport@Greenwood.net)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:16:55 -0400

Greetings...

Thanks for all the responses! It did turn out to be CU-SeeMe. Problem is we
only have one T-1 to share 65 lines and a full stream newsfeed on... With all
the new "streaming" types of internet software coming out, users are using
more of the bandwidth on a consistent basis. Counting on quick web browsing
and e-mail access to balance the load is not working well anymore. Too many
online games, people downloading 3 programs at a time, etc... Need more
bandwidth! :-(

> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 18:20:24 -0500
> To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> From: "Michael D. Craven" <mike@mnt.com>
> Subject: Re: UDP traffic

> At 05:16 PM 4/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Greetings...
> >
> > This isn't exactly a PM question, but not sure where else to look. I had
> some
> >seriously heavy traffic hitting a user today and it appeared to be the
> cause of
> >a serious system slow-down. To make sure, before I filter it out on
> everyone,
> >I am hoping to find out what it is. Came from 208.195.152.203.7648 - UDP.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with what service uses UDP 7648? I have checked the
> RFCs, but
> >they only mention DNS on port 53.
> >
> > Any information would be appreciated, even just a point in the right
> direction
> >to look for info. Thanks! :-)
> >

> >Applied InterNet Solutions - Systems Engineer
>

> It might be cu-seeme. It uses UDP, I don't remember the port.
>
> --
> Mike Craven mike@mnt.com Micron Networking Technology
> Stocking Products by: Livingston, Cisco & Ascend; Modems from US
> Robotics, Microcom, & Multitech; CSU/DSU's from TyLink, Adtran, &
> ADC Kentrox.
> 630 690 7022

Applied InterNet Solutions - Systems Engineer

Jeremy T. Elston
mailto:TechSupport@Greenwood.net