Re: stupid question about PAP

John Storms ((no email))
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 08:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Mike Reibman wrote:
>
> > New problem:
> > I have my own Linux box to use from home, wrote the chat script and
> > everything (even looked at the linux ppp howto many moons ago). The box
> > connects, but at no point will it authenticate using PAP. I cannot figure
> > out what the PAP secret is on the portmasters, nor do I know how to set it.
> > (Manuals are in the office, and I'll read them on Monday)
>
> I asked one of my linux customers to email you their chat scripts. I have
> many of those and they all connect to pm2e30's no probs.

The keyword here is 'chat script', the PortMaster will not PAP a network user that has already athenticated via a chat script. So there are actually 3 forms of authentication for network users.

1. Chat script.
If the user chats his way in you'll notice in the LCP negotiation that there is never any mention of authentication; PAP or CHAP
2. PAP
3. CHAP

jstorms@livingston.com