Re: PM's for other purposes

James T. Robson (robie@thewebplace.com)
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:17:20 -0500

Hi all,
I have worked in the newspaper industry, and there is a company which was
named III (Information International Inc.) they were subsequently bought by
Autologic and are now known as AII (Autologic Information International).

They use a Portmaster in a product known as a InfoRouter. It multiplexes
the output from Raster Image Processors (RIP) to a variety of output
devices, image setters etc.

Cheers! Robie

Robie aka...
Jim Robson, Webmaster, Owner, Operator
The Web Place - Your Place on the Web
http://www.TheWebPlace.com Robie@TheWebPlace.com
Chat.thewebplace.com:6667 Chat2.thewebplace.com:6667
----------
> From: Ing. Felipe Tribaldos <felipe@pty.com>
> To: Portmaster Users List <portmaster-users@livingston.com>
> Subject: PM's for other purposes
> Date: Thursday, April 03, 1997 1:51 AM
>
> Hi;
>
> Prehaps a little off topic, but I'll take a stab at it.
>
> I'm interested in stories of people using PM2's for users
> other than dialin remote access, with modems attached to the serial
ports.

> Perhaps as:
> A true terminal server, with Dumb terminals attached to the Sx ports.
> A dialout pool for corporate dial out ppp access.
> Has anybody been able to share a modem from a PC through the
> ethernet and establish an outbound PPP conecction on the PC. This
> would require off course a virtual serial driver on the PC.
> A dialout FAX modem pool.
> Sending faxes from a PC's on an ethernet. Also would require a
> virtual serial driver, or possible a UNIX faxserver
(faximum,hylafax,etc).
> Also FAX software on the PC being able to print to the virtual serial
> driver.
> UPS monitoring with UPS's connected to the Sx ports.
> Floppy duplicator. I remember a thread some months ago about
> someone who got flamed when asking about duplicating disks on the list.
> Door Stop
> ad infinitum
>
> I know, I know some of what I mentioned are longshots, but just wondering
> what other uses people are getting out of the PM2's
>
> I will summarize;
>
> regards;
>
> Felipe
> --

> | Ing. Felipe Tribaldos
|
> | Gerente de Operaciones / Operations Manager Tel.
+(507)265-2022/269-3571|