Re: Why me?!

Jeffrey J. Mountin (sysop@mixcom.com)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:09:47 -0600

At 11:51 AM 3/30/97 -0600, Jake (not the snake) Messinger wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>
>> nac-nyc2> sho ses
>> Port User Host/Inet/Dest Type Dir Status Start
>> Idle
>> ---- --------------- ---------------- ------- --- ------------- ------
>> S0 - - Login In USERNAME 0
>> S1 gfkiller nac-nyc2-s7-115k Netwrk In ESTABLISHED 0
>> S2 zorak 207.99.0.18 Netwrk In ESTABLISHED 2:55
>> S3 meir - Netwrk In IDLE 0
>> S4 yoonshim - Netwrk In CONNECTING 0
>> S5 eunhok - Netwrk In CONNECTING 0
>> S6 panic 207.99.6.14 Netwrk In ESTABLISHED 43
>
>Excuse me for saying so, but what sort of service do you run? gfkiller?
>Zorak? eunhok? heh... lemme guess, its a quake server?
>
>> How can someone be on an idle port (s3?)
>
>Uh that IS strange. But ive seen it too. I guess its stale data.

What is really odd is that there is a timeout on the login and is one of
the session termination reasons:

Login Timeout
The login:, password: or host: prompt is set to timeout after five
minutes with no input and has done so.

I've never seen one go for ever and would received mail if it did.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990