Re: PM3 and Win 3.1

Mark Essers (webmaster@master.enconet.de)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:21:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Nick Johnson wrote:

> We are having considerable trouble getting Windows 3.1 users connected to
> our PM3 boxen. Users can connect, authenticate, and get an IP address
> assigned, but are then unable to connect to any remote sites. I have a
> hunch that this is a gateway assignment problem, but the Windows dialers
> that most of our users use (Netscape Personal Edition 3.0) don't provide
> much debugging information.
>
> Unix and Windows95 have no problems.

Many of our customers are using WIN3.1. But they still use Trumpet
Winsock.
It's no problem to make a connection with it !

For the beginning, use the Terminal-Windows of e.g. Trumpet Winsock. You
can see the loggin-procedure. After that, you can easy change the
loggin-script.

For easy loggin, you only have to login by Username/Password. After that,
the PPP is startet...(than you can start yout Netscape.....in The
Terminal-Windows of Winsock..you have to press "ESC" if you see the
"garbage" PPP-chars.)

If you want to control something, you only look (by telnetting your PM3)
with "show sessions". If someone is loggin in, you can see something like
"IN CONECTION". If a User has logged in, you see "NETWORK ESTABLISHED".

If the first message appears, and the connection gets lost, there a
mistake in the login-procedure.

Mark Essers