Re: RFC1812 (fwd)

Jon Lusky (lusky2@earth.voyageronline.net)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:46:20 -2900 (EST)

MegaZone writes:
> Once upon a time Bradley Dunn shaped the electrons to say...
> >* Section 3.3.4
> >* The MTU of each logical interface MUST be configurable within the
> >* range of legal MTUs for the interface.
> >How do you set the MTU on ether0?
>
> Someone shoot me down if I'm wrong - but isn't the MTU for ethernet a
> fixed value?

I don't know what the RFC's say, but 1500 is just a maximum mtu for ethernet.
It will work with a lower MTU, and most unix implementations I've used allow
it to be adjusted. The only time I've ever seen anyone lower it was as
kludge to work around a bug in a TCP/IP stack (solaris retrans bug, anyone?)

--
Jonathan R. Lusky		|  Voyager Online, LLC
Director of Network Operations	|  (423) 209-2929