More trouble with ComOS 3.3.3 - ISDN failures

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 14:32:16 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:15:16 -0600 Binary Net - Gleb wrote:

> So, the question remains: are we the only ISP that experiences this
> or is it common? I've seen couple of messages about "all-of-a-sudden"
> reboots but I've never seen any solutions to it.... :(

So far we haven't had any reboots, but are dealing with a nasty bug of
ISDN failures to connect from users of SAGEM equipment. Opened a ticket
#027899 with Livingston which they closed, saying that there isn't
anything different between 3.3.1c1 and 3.3.3 which would cause it.

This is dead wrong, as we went back to 3.3.1c1 (with great difficulty,
and lost port s0 in the process) which fixed the problem, then back to
3.3.3 and the trouble is back.

Here's the scenario:

Customer has Mac with internal SAGEM TA. Was able to connect flawlessly
when we had 3.3.1c1. We iupgraded to 3.3.3 and customer immediately lost
the ability to connect. Debug output shows:

> > S21: Sending Request Connect - 64Kbps / Data
> > S22: Sending Request Connect - 64Kbps / Data
> > S21: Received Connect - B2
> > S22: Received Connect - B1
> > Received LCP_PROTOCOL_REJECT on port S21 of 1 bytes containing:
> > 08 01 00 05 7f
> > Connection Failed
> > S21: Sending Disconnect Request
> > Received LCP_PROTOCOL_REJECT on port S22 of 1 bytes containing:
> > 08 01 00 05 7f

Now, the strange thing is that if the customer calls us _long distance_,
it connects fine.

Despite Livingston's protestations to the contrary, this is definitely a
bug with 3.3.3. It worked on 3.3.1c1, failed on 3.3.3, worked again on
3.3.1c1, and failed again on 3.3.3 .

Anyone else come up with a fix for this? Switch is AT&T 5E multipoint.

Either that, or a painless way to fully restore 3.3.1c1 would be appreciated.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121