Re: Setting minimum connection rate

Evan Champion (evanc@synapse.net)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:53:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Stephen B. Henry wrote:

> Since the modem actaully answers the call and must negotiate a
> satisfactory baud rate and protocol before turning over to the PM, you
> can set the modem to reject anything below 28.8 (though I can't imagine
> why you would want to do that). This won't allow you to send a message,
> however as the call will never get to the PM.

If I could control the protocols that the PM3 could accept, I could just
tell it not to send tones for anything but V.34 which would solve the
problem.

> Agian I can't imagine why. I'm sure you have your reasons and it's really
> none of my business, but I used to run a multi-line BBS for about six
> years and I remember many SysOps falling into that trap... oh, we're
> "elitist" boards and we only want people with fast modems. Like fast
> modems and 12" dicks make a better customer (well, in some businesses,
> maybe!) In six years, we accepted all callers, whatever the speed. After
> all, we charged for access by TIME and what they did with their time, no
> matter how slow, was their business. 1200 baud users grow up and become
> 14.4 users and eventually 33.6 users and they're still with us now that
> we are a "real" ISP. Wonder who they'd be paying their monthly fee to if
> I'd played the elitist game and kicked them off when they had only 1200
> baud modems?

In our case, we already have a lot of existing analog equipment. We're
spending big money to bring in the PM3 and the PRI's, and we don't want
to see the investment wasted on people connecting at 2400. We also want
to keep the server available for people calling in at 33.6 (when
available) and ISDN.

What we are planning on doing is putting the PM3 above the present "top
of the chain" so that when the PM3 is full, it will ring down in to the
existing analog pool, and so that people who don't have 28.8+ won't
notice the difference.

Evan

--
Evan Champion            * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau