Re: Setting minimum connection rate

Stephen B. Henry (steve@headwaters.com)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 03:18:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Evan Champion wrote:

> Is there a way to set a minimum connect speed/available protocols on the
> PM3? For example, I'd like to restrict connections to 28.8 and up. In
> the case of analog calls, the server will have to answer all calls, but
> it should just say something like "this server only supports callers at
> 28.8 and up" and hang up.

Evan,

Since the modem actaully answers the call and must negotiate a
satisfactory baud rate and protocol before turning over to the PM, you
can set the modem to reject anything below 28.8 (though I can't imagine
why you would want to do that). This won't allow you to send a message,
however as the call will never get to the PM.

I don't think the PM itself could handle that but you could accept all
callers at the modem and pass the call to some kind of back end
processing to send the message and drop anyone who doesn't meet your
parameters.

Agian I can't imagine why. I'm sure you have your reasons and it's really
none of my business, but I used to run a multi-line BBS for about six
years and I remember many SysOps falling into that trap... oh, we're
"elitist" boards and we only want people with fast modems. Like fast
modems and 12" dicks make a better customer (well, in some businesses,
maybe!) In six years, we accepted all callers, whatever the speed. After
all, we charged for access by TIME and what they did with their time, no
matter how slow, was their business. 1200 baud users grow up and become
14.4 users and eventually 33.6 users and they're still with us now that
we are a "real" ISP. Wonder who they'd be paying their monthly fee to if
I'd played the elitist game and kicked them off when they had only 1200
baud modems?

Anyway, I'm sure that has nothing to do with your reasons, but I just
thought I'd pass it along.

Just another aside: I notice a lot of questions, like Evan's, tend to be
looking for answers that are more in the BBS field than in the ISP area.
Control and functionality and features that are being asked about are
very reminicent of my old BBS. I've just started looking seriously at
Mustang Software's new 'Interactive Net Server' -- an interesting
out-growth of their Wildcat BBS product. For those looking for ISP type
access to the 'net and BBS control and function, this might be worth a look.

If anyone is interested in more comments on this, since it really isn't a
Livingston/PM issue suitable for this list (though it does seem to work
fine with the PM!) contact me directly.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen B. Henry steve@headwaters.com
Director of Operations http://www.headwaters.com/
headwaters network http://www.headwaters.com/steve/
a division of WebNET Corporation member: HTML Writer's Guild

"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the
Internet deserves the highest protection from government intrusion..."
-- Philadelphia Federal Court in ruling sections of
the Communications Decency Act unconstitutional.