Re: Telnet Problems (fwd)

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:14:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> Yes, you can have four concurrent, BUT you have to have a delay of TWO
> SECONDS when ESTABLISHING them.
[snip]
> This is visible when you use a tool like pmwho from cron on two different
> machines that have the clocks set identically. In one script I have put a
> delay before calling the pmwho and all the connect problems were gone.
>
> The reason this bothers me is if the ComOS has problem with establishing
> two connection to telnet (AT THE SAME TIME) what other ports are blocked
> for this long that I don't see.

A couple of points here:

1) Simultaneous establishment of telnet sessions is an RFE. It is not a
current requirement of the ComOS. I am not aware of it being a
requirement for any router or host, for that matter.

2) Administrative telnet sessions are lower operating priority than most
all operations in the ComOS, thus I'm not surprised it is two seconds
before the ComOS is ready to start a new telnet session.

I'd like to know how you simultaneous connects to other telnet capable
systems performs. Do they also have a delay? Actually, I don't want to
know, it isn't important to the day to day activity of configuring,
running and diagnosing PMs.

As to your concern that other ports are blocked during that two seconds I
seriously doubt there is any other ports unavailable. Two seconds is a
long time in networking environments, any other port being stopped that
long would be noticed.

If you want this as an RFE for the ComOS, say so.

Please drop this issue.

JGT

--
John G. Thompson       Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)              4464 Willow Road                 Fax: (510) 426-8951