Re: PM3

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:19:11 -0800

At 06:37 PM 11/24/96 -0800, you wrote:

>What happens if there is an incoming modem call and there are no DSP
>modems available (they're all in use - as if you have more lines than
>modems installed or a DSP has been busied out and you don't have spares)?
>Does the user get a busy signal?

When all modems (DSPs) are in use or busied-out, the PM3 will not answer the
incoming voice call and the remote modem caller will receive a busy signal.
Even if all DSPs are in use, and incoming lines are still available, 64K and
56K ISDN calls will still be answered. This is possible because the D
channel tells us in advance whether the call is data 64K or 56K ISDN, or a
voice call.

The only caveat is in the event all DSPs are in use (or busied-out) and we
received a data-over-voice ISDN call. Because the D channel tells us this is
a voice call, we won't answer and the remote ISDN caller will receive a busy
signal (just like a modem caller would). We are in the midst of making this
a software configurable option. Meaning as it stands today, (1) all modem
callers and ISDN data-over-voice callers will receive a busy signal when no
DSPs are available. (2) You will be able to configure the PM3 to answer all
ISDN and modem calls, and if no DSP modems are available, hang-up the modem
call.

--Marty
Marty Likier Livingston Worldwide Headquarters
Product Marketing Mgr. 4464 Willow Road
(800) 458-9966 Pleasanton, CA 94588 USA
(510) 737-2164 (510) 244-1903 (FAX)
marty@livingston.com Web: www.livingston.com