Re: "Can't negotiate compatible protocol" errors...

Dale T. (tech-djt@athenet.net)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:02:13 -0600

Hello All,
With the troubleshooting that I have done relating to this problem, I have
narrowed it down to the Win95 Dial-Up Script. After creating a
"simplified" win95 script...cut here...everything worked perfect. For some
reason, this only happened to a fraction of our users. (or the others just
didn't complain, of course...) ;)

; Main entry point to script
;
proc main

; Delay for 3 seconds first to allow host time
; to send initial characters.

delay 3

; Wait for the login prompt before entering
; the user ID

waitfor "ogin:"
transmit $USERID
transmit "^M"

; Enter the Password

waitfor "assword:"
transmit $PASSWORD
transmit "^M"

; Choose PPP connection
transmit "ppp^M"
endproc

Download/Install Dial-Up Scripting (available for download from Microsoft)
, attach this script, and see if it helps!

Later,
:)

At 04:48 PM 11/14/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello folks..
>
>Have a problem which started occuring lately..people who log in using
>win95 get the above message and their connection is never established.
>It happens with other OS's and dialers as well but the other dialers
>usually don't give much of an error message (not that MS does but
>that's the most common OS these days). Anyway..I was wondering if
>anyone has had it beofer or could shed some light on things..here's
>some base info...
>
>our dynamic IPs are from one class C (207.32.94.0), our pm's ether
>addresses are on another (204.157.123.0 or 207.32.89.0) and the
>reported addresses on the PMs are 207.32.93.10 (static IPs on
>207.32.93.0 among others). It happens on both dynamic and non-dynamic
>IP customers and it doesn't always happen. I've seen some debug 0x51
>logs and it seems that the remote machine isnt' replying to the PM's
>configure reqeusts in time. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks for the help,
>please reply to mickey@intr.net
>
>thanks again
>
>mickeY

Dale T.

tech-djt@athenet.net
-AthEnet-Client-Services-Supervisor->

"I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up with
my head sewn into the carpet" - Clark Griswald