Re: PM2e30 digital? (fwd)

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:52:29 -0800

At 10:10 PM 11/18/96 -0900, you wrote:

>> PRI ~$720/mo
>> Channelized T1 ~$440
>> (about $4 less than what we pay now even!)
>
> Could som one enlighten me as to what a channelized T1 is, vs any
>other type of T! (or PRI over T1)?

Channelized T1 refers to carving up the T1 pipe (1.544 Mbps) into smaller
combinations of DS0s (64Kbps) chunks. In its simpliest form, that is how you
get fractional T1 speeds. However, to support dial-up over channelized T1
requires additional inbound signaling support for call set-up, tear down,
etc. Contrasted to PRI , where call set-up is accomplished thru an out of
band D channel (a separate DS0) for all calls coming in on the other 23 B
channels.
--Marty
Marty Likier Livingston Worldwide Headquarters
Product Marketing Mgr. 6920 Koll Center Pkwy #220
(800) 458-9966 Pleasanton, CA 94566 USA
(510) 485-6794 (510) 244-1903 (FAX)
marty@livingston.com Web: www.livingston.com