Re: Access to the net. (fwd)

Travis Mikalson (tmikalson@terranova.net)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:51:53 -0500

Travis Mikalson wrote:

> MegaZone wrote:
> >
> > Once upon a time alexm@agetech.net shaped the electrons to say...
> > >Give me quick explanation of what the Async map is in a nutshell and how
> > >he can
> >
> > It is part of PPP. If the connection is not clear control characters can
> > be trashed. So PPP has the ability to escape them. Exactly what is
> > escaped is set with the async map. 00000000 is nothing escaped, ffffffff is
> > everything escaped. Please don't ask me what all the intermediate steps
> > are. :-) The PPP spec explains it in more detail.
> >
> > As for how to fix it - I can't help you there. It seems every dialer
> > package is different.
> >
> > Escaping everything is probably going to halve his throughput.
> >
> > > This is what a dialup account looks like is it ok?
> > >Async Map: L:00000000 R:000a0000 00000000
> >
> > Win95, right? Win95 seems to default to that mask. I believe that
> > mask escapes XON/XOFF. Unnecessary if the connection is configured
> > properly. But not a major throughput drain and it is idiot proof that
> > way. If the end user sets XON/XOFF on their modem, it won't choke the
> > link.
> >
> > -MZ
> > --
> > Livingston Enterprises - Chair, Department of Interstitial Affairs
> > Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
> > For support requests: support@livingston.com <http://www.livingston.com/>
> > Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566
>
> No, this is a FreeBSD machine running GateD and kernel ppp through an
> analog connection.
> I am the person Alex is referring to as his dialup, btw ;)
>
> We're set to RTS/CTS flow control on our end...
>
> I haven't done anything strange to my ppp configuration in the least on
> this end.
>
> Travis Mikalson

Hm, I appear have found the problem.
Thanks for pointing this out, Alex ;)

>From the pppd man page in the options section:
asyncmap <map>
Set the async character map to <map>. This map
describes which control characters cannot be suc-
cessfully received over the serial line. pppd will
ask the peer to send these characters as a 2-byte
escape sequence. The argument is a 32 bit hex num-
ber with each bit representing a character to
escape. Bit 0 (00000001) represents the character
0x00; bit 31 (80000000) represents the character
0x1f or ^_. If multiple asyncmap options are
given, the values are ORed together. If no
asyncmap option is given, no async character map
will be negotiated for the receive direction; the
peer will then escape all control characters.

Seeing as my line is fairly clear, I should set the asyncmap option here
to 00000000 and it should increase my performance, eh?

Thanks,
Travis Mikalson