Re: Power Up default ip

Per Hedeland (per@erix.ericsson.se)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:04:16 +0100 (MET)

Captain Scarlet wrote:
>> What is the default ip address of a fresh outa the box portmaster??
>
>It doesn't have one. That has to be configured via the s0 (or c0, on
>the PM2i subseries) port before the box can be brought up on the
>network.

Pminstall can do it too (at least it did for us on SunOS 4.x with PM2e),
over the network no less - through some deep secret magic that we will
not be told about, I guess? I think it would be very nice if the PM
could try to get its ether IP using rarp or bootp on powerup (every
powerup preferrably, falling back to previously configured (if any) if
it doesn't get a reply).

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se