Re: No 2400 baud support on PM3

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:33:18 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Bryan Wann_Stigler_ISP wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Jay Hennigan wrote:
>
> > Another advantage to the 2400 bps (and slower) modems for applications
> > such as UUCP mail with relatively small amounts of data is that the
> > negotiation time is very short. That's why the credit-card verifiers and
> > paging terminals are typically 1200 baud. They can handle a half dozen
> > transactions by the time a pair of v.34+ modems have finished negotiating.
> > More tolerant of crappy phone lines, too.
>
> Yep. We do our CC by computer. At first I had a 28.8k on my computer,
> and it was a nightmare trying to connect to the processing company. Busted
> out the trust o' Wang 2400 and it connects every time.

This means that if you do CC via a dialout, or if your machines are set
up to dial your pager via the PM when they want to complain about being
unhappy, you probably won't be able to use a PM3 to do it.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121