Re: A Livingston default modem string is bad for a USR modem

Carl Oppedahl (carl@oppedahl.com)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:08:51 -0500

At 06:45 PM 11/10/96 EST, Joe Hartley wrote:

>> I am sorry but you came in part way through the thread. I was talking about
>> *dialout*, not *dialin*. When you are dialing out, you often know perfectly
>> well what sort of modem is at the other end. And if it happens to be one
>> that supports V.32 or MNP, the person configuring the dialout would be
>> foolish not to *force* the connection to be error-correcting.

>So you want the basic setup string, as suggested by Livingston, to
>be optimal for dialout, error-correction only?

Nope. I want it not to rewrite the flash EEPROM of the modem unnecessarily.
The &W could be left out of the string with no drawbacks, only benefits.

>It seems to me that
>the percentage of users who set up Portmasters and modems that would
>want that functionality is extremely small.

I guess you are saying that most router serial ports are used for dialin,
not dialout. I suppose that's so. But the majority of those who use the
serial port for dialout would prefer to have a forced error-corrected
session, I suggest. And would not want their EEPROM used up prematurely,
which (if one refers to the beginning of the thread) is the point of my
original posting.

>You've got the opportunity to enter your own setup string. Putting
>the NVRAM writing aside (it was answered to my satisfaction months ago),
>the default string is exactly what the majority of PM users seem to
>need.

For dialin use, you mean. Yes, if one deletes the &w, you are right that it
is what most of the dialin users need.

I have yet to see anyone articulate a reason why the &w is important, and
why the same string without the &w is not just as good.