Re: No 2400 baud support on PM3

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 15:22:10 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Mervyn Jack wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, John Driscoll wrote:
>
> > Do you still use a black rotary telephone too? ;)
>
> If there was one hanging on the wall and it worked?
> Of course.<grin>

Dial? What's that? Mine's wooden and has a crank, just like my record
player. Both of them work in a power failure, too. ;)

> Seriously though, it's a tool, they work and people DO use them. Just
> like they still use PC's & XT's in business, and Commodore 64's at home.
> Why are we so eager to throw out technology that works, just because it's
> old?

Another advantage to the 2400 bps (and slower) modems for applications
such as UUCP mail with relatively small amounts of data is that the
negotiation time is very short. That's why the credit-card verifiers and
paging terminals are typically 1200 baud. They can handle a half dozen
transactions by the time a pair of v.34+ modems have finished negotiating.
More tolerant of crappy phone lines, too.

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121

Don't read mail with Netscape.