Re: using radius user file to deny access

Terry Manderson (terrym@peg.apc.org)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:35:50 +1000 (EST)

At 08:47 PM 11/7/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I deny access via RADIUS by defining the login as a telnet to a port on
>the main server which displays a brief denial message and drops. Pretty
>easy, and lets you tell them more than a simple failed login.

Hi Matthew,
nice solution to increase user feedback..
hmmm thoughts of telnets to odd ports tend to scare me..
paranoia is good :-)

I thought John wanted to keep the one default entry in his users
file (as he currently is). Thus reducing administration overheads.
I don't see the point of having a complete list of users in /etc/passwd
and then having to duplicate a portion of those to give/deny access.

When dealing with many many hundreds of users on a system I find it simpler
to modify a shell entry for a user than to add additional entries in
the users file.
also having unix password lookups is a bit faster than having to parse a huge
flat file.. sure you can dbm but then you are back to the old duplication of
entries problem.

Regards,
Terry

Terry Manderson        PO Box 3220, SBBC 4101  Phone +61 7 3259 6259
System Administrator      QLD, AUSTRALIA       Fax   +61 7 3255 0555
Pegasus Networks       http://www.peg.apc.org    terrym@peg.apc.org