Re: Frame Relay Setup

Charles Scott (cscott@freeway.net)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 00:32:55 -0500 (EST)

Bob:
The answer to this is to make the nodes on your Frame Relay network a
separate subnet from the ethernet port addresses. You would give each
WAN port one address in that subnet and only use that subnet for the FR
cloud.
The unit at location-a should have a static route for any networks or
subnets which are located at location-c and should use location-b as the
gateway. Similarly, location-c should have a static route for any networks
or subnets which are located at location-a and should again use location-b as
the gateway. What will then happen for traffic from a to c is it will go to
b and then b will retransmit it to c. Same for the reverse route.
With this configuration you won't be able to ping the FR WAN ports
opposite each other (can't ping c from a or a from c) even though they
are in the same subnet, but you will be able to ping the ethernet
interfaces from anywhere. This may seem odd and might lead you to
believe that something is wrong, but it's normal. If you don't need to
move much traffic between a and c save the $10 or so and don't bother
with pvc's between them.
There shouldn't be any problem with splitting a class c between
location b and location c provided you have the correct subnet masks.
There are ways to fool it into breaking up the class c into different
sized subnets, but I'll likely get yelled at if I go into that one.

Chuck