Re: filters

bem@cmc.net
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:37:56 -0800 (PST)

> On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Mark Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I'm using the mailonly.in filter someone posted a while back. It works
> > great on incoming stuff. The problem is when I go to send out email it
> > takes 30 to 45 seconds to connect and send. This is too long. I do NOT have
> > any outgoing filters. Is there something I can add to the filter to speed
> > this up? Maybe some udp or icmp filter?
> >

> Taking 30 seconds to cennect is usually a sign that your DNS tables are
> incomplete. Once connected, is the speed 'normal'?

Or, depending on your sendmail options, it may be the timeout for the
TAP/IDENT/AUTH/whatever-its-called-this-week protocol. I haven't confirmed
it yet, but perhaps the solution would be to allow it through the filter
to let the 'refused' that it will get on most systems back instead of
the no route.

I'm seeing a similar problem on a walled-off subnet of mine, but don't
want to yank the ident stuff from sendmail, as it has nailed a couple
kids in the past that want to bounce mail off my smtp port.