Re: Instant web creation

MIX System Operator (sysop@mixcom.com)
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 19:41:46 -0600

At 02:21 PM 11/7/96 EST, Joe Hartley wrote:
><rant>
>
>There *are* FP extentions for Apache, but they're woefully pitiful
>from an administrative standpoint. Example: If a user uploads pages
>to their account, any FP features will not be seen until Apache is
>manually restarted. Apparently, this is true for most if not all oof
>the web servers that run under Unix. Of course, M$'s answer is to
>buy an NT server and run their webserver software!

What? An M$ addon for my BSDi server? And it wants control!?

>We've been going through a beta period here where I've installed the
>FP stuff, and we have a few users trying FP to develop their pages.
>Some have dropped out, claiming that it's too much work for too little
>achieved.

One customer that was interested in this, wasn't interested in getting me
the infomation I needed. When I did... one look and said, "g'bye!"

NOT!

>It's typical of M$ to have some oddball stuff that doesn't work like
>anything else on the web. With most other software, I may have to add
>a particular file extention to the srm.conf file, and it gets served up
>just fine. Not M$, nooooo. Our official position is that we are not
>supporting FP. We may lose a customer or two because of it, but the
>level of aggravation it's caused me so far has been too high. I'll
>recommend anything else - Adobe PageMill, Netscape Gold, Hotdog, whatever -
>over FP at this point. It's just not worth it to me.

Sorry to hear that you even tried it, but I didn't like the way it had to be
implemented.

Bill and M$ are starting to really get on our nerves here. One of our sales
reps was called by an M$ rep... well to keep things short, it's going to be
mighty embarrasing for them to have a booth next to the sponsers of
Cyberfest, New Rock Direct, next week when they have to hand out Netscape's
personal edition, as we have seen a 15% success rate with IE.

Just damn glad that they are NOT in control of the net.

Jeff Mountin
sysop@mixcom.com

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990

Sure my business card says "Senior Network Administrator"
They still make me do just about anything.