Re: Instant web creation

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Thu, 7 Nov 96 14:21:50 EST

> sysop@nconline.com wrote:
> >
> > AL>I am looking for something that runs in Windows NT or Linux(preffered)
> > AL>that users can creat web pages on the fly without having to know anythin
> > AL>of HTML. Ask a few question, scan a few clipart and viola, web page is
> > AL>created. Anyone have an idea?
> >
> > How about Front Page?
> >
> > Gary
> > MtnMail V1.00:
> > A Macintosh : Something that SHOULD be eaten!
>

> works good when you put in the extension, but I am talking about the
> Linux box and there are no such things as Front page server extensions
> for Apache.

Off topic here, but.... tough!

<rant>

There *are* FP extentions for Apache, but they're woefully pitiful
from an administrative standpoint. Example: If a user uploads pages
to their account, any FP features will not be seen until Apache is
manually restarted. Apparently, this is true for most if not all oof
the web servers that run under Unix. Of course, M$'s answer is to
buy an NT server and run their webserver software!

We've been going through a beta period here where I've installed the
FP stuff, and we have a few users trying FP to develop their pages.
Some have dropped out, claiming that it's too much work for too little
achieved.

It's typical of M$ to have some oddball stuff that doesn't work like
anything else on the web. With most other software, I may have to add
a particular file extention to the srm.conf file, and it gets served up
just fine. Not M$, nooooo. Our official position is that we are not
supporting FP. We may lose a customer or two because of it, but the
level of aggravation it's caused me so far has been too high. I'll
recommend anything else - Adobe PageMill, Netscape Gold, Hotdog, whatever -
over FP at this point. It's just not worth it to me.

</rant>